2015.08.21 : Agedashi tofu in a shrimp and Chinese chive sauce
Well hello there! Long time, no cook. Mega food aversions plus severe nausea and exhaustion have made it impossible for me to cook for a while, but now I’m back with another delicious-looking take on a standard.
Sakamoto Masayuki's Agedashi tofu in a shrimp and Chinese chive sauce
Author: Sakamoto Masayuki
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 2 servings
- Sake: appropriate amount
- Potato starch: appropriate amount
- Sake: 1tbsp
- Cooking oil: appropriate amount
- Eggs: 2
- Dashi: 200cc
- Soy sauce: ½tsp
- Mirin: ½tsp
- Chives: ¼ one, cut into 1cm pieces
- Water: 2tbsp
- Potato starch: 2tbsp
- Flour: 2tbsp
- Silken tofu: 1 block
- Sansho Japanese pepper powder: ½tsp
- Cooking oil: enough to cover 1cm of the bottom of the pan
- Remove the heads and spines of the shrimp
- Add a couple pinches of salt, a little sake, and enough potato starch to cover the shrimp and mix it all up. This is to get the flavour of the sake in the shrimp, and the flour will help it absorb it.
- After it's mixed up, rinse the shrimp well and pat them dry (make sure they're fully dry).
- Cut the shrimp into tiny, tiny pieces (not quite mincing but still, as tiny as you can get them).
- Add the tablespoon of sake to the shrimp and let it sit.
- In a pan, scramble the eggs. Make sure you break it up well and that the pieces are also itty-bitty. (Maa-kun accomplished this by just running his chopsticks around the pan over and over again and breaking the pieces up as they cooked).
- Once the eggs are cooked, add in the dashi, soy sauce, and mirin.
- While that's at a rolling boil, add in the chives and shrimp.
- Add in a couple more pinches of salt.
- Let it cook for a little bit (he doesn't say how long), then add in the the mixture of water and potato starch. Let that simmer while the sauce thickens some.
- Cut the tofu into six big blocks.
- Add the Japanese pepper to the flour and mix it up, then coat each block of tofu in it.
- Add about 1cm of cooking oil to the bottom of a new pan and cook the tofu until each block is done, turning each block to cook it evenly.
- When the tofu is cooked, transfer to a drying rack and let the remaining oil drip off. When that's done, transfer to a plate.
- Cover the tofu in the egg, shrimp, and chive mixture and enjoy!