2013.11.15 : Yakitori-don
This is one that takes for-fucking-ever to prepare but that’s so goddamn delicious. It definitely works both as a main dish but could totally just be some pre-meal munchies (that’s the inherent beauty of izakaya food).
Sakamoto Masayuki’s Yakitori-don
Recipe type: Appetizer, Main
Serves: 2 servings
- Leeks: appropriate amount (just the green, leafy part of one thing)
- Ginger: appropriate amount (just the rind)
- Chicken skin: 3 pieces (150g)
- Ice water: a big ass bowl full
- Ground chicken: 120g
- Salt: appropriate amount
- Onion: 5cm of one (minced)
- Ginger: ½tbsp (minced)
- Flour: ½tbsp
- Pepper: appropriate amount
- Cooking oil: 1tsp
- Chicken leg meat: ½ one (cut into six pieces)
- Onion: 12cm (cut into 3 big pieces)
- Green peppers: 6
- Sake: 2tbsp
- Mirin: 1tbsp
- Sugar: 1tsp
- Soy sauce: 2tsp
- Rice: 2 cups
- Yakinori (grilled seaweed): appropriate amount (torn up into little bits)
- Cayenne pepper powder: appropriate amount
- Yuzukoshou: appropriate amount
- To a pot of cold water, add the leeks and ginger, then bring it to a boil.
- When that’s boiling, add in the chicken skin
- When it’s cooked, take it out of the water boiling hot water and then dunk it in ice water.
- Dry off the chicken skin on and with paper towels.
- When the excess moisture is gone, quarter each piece.
- Skewer them (should make 2)
- in a separate bowl, coat the ground chicken in salt and get it all mixed in.
- Add in onions, ginger, flour, and pepper, and mix.
- When it’s all mixed, form them into half-patties and put them on a skewer (make sure it’s a big skewer to hold everything together)
- Coat the bottom of a pan in oil, add in the skewers of chicken (both the skin and ground chicken)
- Add in skewers of chicken and onion coated in salt.
- When everything is about halfway done, add in some green peppers and coat everything in salt.
- The chicken and onion skewers should be done first, so take out those and the green peppers.
- To the pan, add sake, mirin, sugar, and soy sauce and move the pan around to coat everything as much as possible.
- Over rice, add the sauce from the pan and yakinori, green peppers, and finally the last of the yakitori.
- Add as much cayenne pepper powder and yuzukoshou as you want.